What is SEM – SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing which is a process of gaining website traffic by purchasing ads on search engines. In short, in this practice you pay for ads to various search engines for displaying your ad in their engine.
What is SEM
In other words, SEM is a form of internet marketing that involves promotion of websites by increasing their visibility in Search Engine Results Pages(SERPs) primarily through paid advertisements.We generally use SEM and/or “Paid Search” to refer to paid listings, with the longer term of search marketing used to encompass both SEO and SEM. Some of the common terms used to refer What is SEM and SEM activities:
- Paid search ads
- Paid search advertising
- PPC (Paid per click): some ads, particularly those served to mobile search users, may be charged by the number of clicks that resulted in a direct call from a smartphone.
- CPC (Cost Per Click)
- CPM (Cost per thousand impressions): Most search ads are sold on a CPC / PPC basis, but some advertising options may also be sold on a CPM basis.
The most popular paid search platform is Google AdWords used by search marketers followed by Bing Ads, which also serves as a significant portion of ads on Yahoo. Each platform offers its own getting started guides and helpful tutorials.
SEO and SEM
- SEM incorporates SEO
- SEM includes paid search results as well as organic search results (SEO)
- A keyword analysis is performed for both SEO and SEM, but not necessarily at the same time.
- The term SEM is used exclusively to mean pay per click advertising
- Creating the link between SEO and PPC represents an integral part of the SEM concept. When separate teams work on SEO and PPC and the efforts are not synced, positive results of aligning their strategies can be lost. The aim of both SEO and PPC is maximizing the visibility in search and thus, their actions to achieve it should be centrally coordinated.
- Another part of SEM is social media marketing (SMM). SMM is a type of marketing that involves exploiting social media to influence consumers that one company’s products and/or services are valuable.
SEM is a process of increasing the visibility of a website by making paid ads on different search engines like Google AdWords, Yahoo, Bing Ads etc.